Friday, February 9, 2007

James



Am I English ....or Australian?

Is it possible to be both......or neither.....or a half breed, having lived for many years in both countries, at different times.

And does it depend on choice? - if you choose to live in Australia, dos that make you more an Australian? My answer is that people see me as English, so that's what I am. Born and bred in the midlands of England. Born in the industrial city of Birmingham, 2 hours north of London on the M1 motorway. And because my family was very poor, and I was raised by my mother, I have to thank England for giving me a super education. In Australia that would not have been possible.

I got a law degree and moved to Australia for a fresh start.
If I had remained in London, where I was then working, I would be more prosperous. But I enjoy life in Australia. I love the wide open plains and the unique hot dry climate and primeval vegetation.

But in a short time, I have also got to like the Philippines. The Philippines extends for a vast distance North to South, and can provide impressive mountain ranges,
cool temperate regions around Baguio, a string of massive volcanoes, and lush forested hills and rivers. Plus the people are warm and they laugh easily.

My attempts to settle into married life have never quite succeeded, even after years together. So this will be my first marriage and hopefully my first child.

Am I too old for Aileen?
Maybe, maybe not. I have to justify my love for her.

No comments: